Friday, July 28, 2006

Italian Food and All You Can Eat Crablegs

My last post I complained about spending $20 to go out and eat Italian Food. That meal out was on Wednesday night- today is Friday. Tonight we spent $65 and I didn't feel one bit of regret...primarily because it was all you can eat crab legs, shrimp, clams, fish, etc. I love crablegs so no guilt there. Plus, the reason I felt bad before was because our meal out was a spontaneous move when we had food right in the refrigerator.

If people would just learn to say "I choose not to spend money today because I know I don't have to." That would be a big step.

One of the hardest things in the world to do is to not spend money when you feel like it. Your head screams, "I can't afford this while your hands are tossing stuff in the basket." If only people could make the connection between their head and their hands. It's just that when we are walking around the store or deciding what to eat we rarely keep the immediate future of not having money to pay the bills in our minds.

Often our decision not to spend money is made without regard to the immediate future. It's not that we don't have the money today, it's that spending the money today means we don't have the money for something else tomorrow. For many people that means that tomorrow they are putting their utility bill on a credit card.

One secret to smart spending decisions is the ability to base current spending decisions on future needs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home