Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

Being a blog about thinking about money then this movie deserves a "revue" as you will.

First, the movie is great, it makes you laugh and is one of those movies that kind've "teaches you a lesson."

The base lesson: Money isn't everything.

The movie does show further evidence of one of my longstanding theories: "Mean people are better liked." Here is why- everyone wants to be liked by everyone soooo if someone (who is mean) does not like you then you try you "like them harder" to get them to like you. The more they put you off the more you try. In short mean people earn your "respect". It's that feeling you get when you have the satisfaction of finally earning their favor.

The problem with the "money does not buy happiness" line is that to some degree it is not true.
Here is a quote by someone: "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy you the kind of misery you prefer. "

I asked the checker today how she was and she exlaimed, "I could be better, I could be rich."
This was a great opportunity to let loose with another favorite quote of mine- this one attributed to Mark Twain--
"I am opposed to millionaires but it would be dangerous to offer me the position."

I've read in recent studies that the "happiness floor" is 50K a y ear. Seems low to me....but they say if you make above that then the "happiness yield" flattens out. In other words if you make above 50K a year then money doesn't buy you more happiness. (by the way I made up all the "happiness yield" stuff. I just graphed it in my head as I was typing about it.)

You know there are probably fewer than a thousand people in the world who could buy whatever they want...who have literally more money than they could spend. Spend it fast enough and anyone can outspend a fortune.... for example Michael Jackson.

1 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home