Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Price of a Piece of Paper

It's like 2am. I just got returned from a dazzling performance of "The Lion King" musical. The costumes were fantastic, the special effects breathtaking, and the acting sensational.

It was worth the $120 that I ponied up to go see it.

The fun part is that we did not have tickets before arriving at the show. We waited outside....6:30...6:45...7:00...7:15...7:25...7:27- FINALLY! Three minutes before show time a lady bursts out of the door with two tickets for sale (she got inside and found some "upgraded" ones somehow.)

So, we took the gamble, I asked her how much for the pair and she said, "$100." I held out $120 and she said she'd take the extra $20. (As you read more about me you'll find that I am rarely cheap at some other individual person's expense.) We felt lucky because the face value of the tickets was $70 and we were prepared to pay $80 each for tickets. So we spent $40 less than we had planned.

The other half of this story is about a guy who had ONE ticket for sale. At 7:23 his mom finally pulled him inside so he gave us the ticket to try to sell for him or buy if we found an extra. Turns out that ticket did not sell- it did not fit our needs so we didn't buy it.

So this guy ends up with what essentially became a 2"x3" square piece of $70 card stock.

This open market thing can be brutal and is always risky-- from the smallest transaction (what if the piece of gum you buy is old?) to the largest (what if your new home gets flooded and it's not in a flood plain.)

Afterwards we went to a diner to eat (Italian was closed at 11 PM on a Thursday) and I tipped the waitress $5 on an $11 ticket. I hope it made her night a little nicer....... for me I had planned to spend $225 out on this Thursday so when I was going home having spent only $140 I felt like the waitress (who did a decent job) deserved a nice tip....(which brings up another point that's funny- I tipped her $5 OOOHH AAAAAHHH.. I felt like that was exceptional but had we eaten Italian the tip would have probably been $12. So maybe I cheated our poor waitress out of $7........(which brings up another point.....If you are going to wait tables why not wait tables at the Italian Place where you can make more money instead of the 24 hour diner (Where you make less?))).

Whew, I better stop... did I close out all of my parentheses?

Good night,
Alberen

4 Comments:

At 6/30/2006 7:24 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Nice job on the blog... keep it up. I did love the comment about $70 card stock - value is so subjective, you know?

On another point, having waitressed for a while, I know that your server really appreciated your tip. She probably works more than one job, if she's table serving at midnight, so who knows, she may actually work normal hours at a fancy upscale Italian joint!

 
At 7/17/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Tired of being broke said...

I saw the Lion King a few weeks ago also and absolutely loved it. My tickets were free though. Trying to reduce my debt does not allow me to spend that much on tickets.

If you get a chance check out The Color Purple and Wicked, if you have not done so already.

 
At 7/19/2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

 
At 7/20/2006 5:02 PM, Blogger The Family CEO said...

We saw the Lion King last week. We loved it. And, like you, I like to think I'm generous with individuals. Especially those working hard for a living. Great blog!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home