Wednesday, June 28, 2006

It's about the experience not the consumption.

I wasn't much in the mood to eat the other day but regardless found myself, at every turn, out to eat. What I realized is that it's not about getting alot to eat but about going out to eat. I kept going out to eat not to eat but to meet, socialize, talk, etc. The eating was just an excuse.

So if I go for ice cream and get a single dip instead of a double I am not losing out on the experience of going to get ice cream... I still get what I want... a social event with friends. In the process I save calories and cash.

12 oz steak works just as well as the 16 oz.
Medium is just as good as the large (To some people a small would be just as good as a medium).
A movie ticket and Coke is just as good as a movie ticket, large popcorn, soda, and candy.

So, it's about the social aspect, not the spending aspect. You can do all you want to do, save money doing it and save stress in the process.

Like I like to say.... don't stress yourself out by stretching yourself out....

Here is another practical example of why it's more about the experience than it is the consumption...
Here is what I have found because I love candy! If (in my area) you get a six pack of say 2 per pack Reese's cups it will cost you $2.25. OR you can get 10 individually wrapped Reese's cups for $0.75-- the difference is the individually wrapped ones are smaller...which is fine with me... because to me it's about the linear experience (buy it because you like it, crave it, then eat one, enjoy every bite) of eating a Reese's cup, not about how many ounces I am eating.

In other words I can get the same satisfaction out of eating a smaller Reese's cup that cost me $0.093 dollars as I do out of one that is $0.19. The experience is the same, the cost is different!

2 Comments:

At 7/03/2006 12:05 AM, Blogger Berry said...

OK, so on July 2 I write this as a response to a post on blog called Penny Foolish (I need to figure out how to link to these other folks).

It expands my thinking on this post and I came up with a name for it... The Theory of the Linear Experience. Here ya go.

Sneaky people indeed....

Here is what I have found because I love candy! If you get a six pack of say 2 per pack Reese's cups it will cost you $2.25. OR you can get 10 individually wrapped Reese's cups for $0.75-- the difference is the individually wrapped ones are smaller...which is fine with me... because to me it's about the linear experience (buy it because you like it, crave it, then eat one, enjoy every bite) of eating a Reese's cup, not about how many ounces I am eating.

In other words I can get the same satisfaction out of eating a smaller Reese's cup that cost me $0.093 dollars as I do out of one that is $0.19.

I have actually been thinking about this alot so your post gave me a great opportunity to expand on it. Thanks...

 
At 7/19/2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home